Mary's Spice Cookies
A friend from work brought these cookies in over
the holidays. I asked for the recipe and have made them a couple of times
since. They are unusual: not too sweet and very spicy.
¾ cup butter or Smart Balance
1 cup sugar (use slightly less than 1 cup)
1 organic, free range egg, beaten or 3 tbsp. egg whites
¾ cup molasses (Braer Rabbit or Grandma’s)
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. soda
½ tsp. salt
1 heaping tbsp. ginger
1 tbsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. allspice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1) Cream butter and sugar with a mixer in a large bowl. Add egg and molasses
and mix well.
2) In a separate bowl, add dry ingredients together. Gradually add dry
ingredients to the butter mixture and blend thoroughly.
3) Refrigerate one hour or overnight.
4) Form into small balls. Roll each ball into granulated sugar and place
on a baking sheet (line cookie sheet with Reynolds wrap—shiny side
up). The cookies will spread out into a flat cookie shape while baking
so allow room for them to spread. Do not grease baking sheet.
5) Bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow them to cool on baking sheet
a few minutes before lifting out with a spatula. Will keep for about a
week in an air-tight container and remain tasty, but are also delicious
eaten warm out of the oven!
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
Return to Top
Send an E-mail
to get added to the Vegetarian Light weekly email!