Mary's Yellow Squash Pie
You don't think of dessert when you think yellow squash, but this pie is sweet and delicious..
1 ½ c. cooked FRESH yellow squash (add butter while cooking)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1) Beat eggs, milk and vanilla.
2) Mix flour and sugar—add to liquid mixture.
3) Slice squash in pieces about ¼ inch thick. DO NOT REMOVE THE SEEDS UNLESS VERY LARGE. Add 1 cup of water and 2 tblsp. butter to squash--cover and cook on top of the stove on medium heat until soft. You are only trying to steam the squash. When soft, drain liquid from squash and mash until no squash slices are apparent.
4) Add lemon juice. Mix everything together and pour into one 9” deep dish BAKED pie shell or two 8” BAKED pie shells. [To bake the pie shell, cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.]
5) Remove pie shell from the oven and pour in filling. Depending on the size of your eggs, you may have a little custard left over. Just microwave it and eat that as a little treat while the pie is cooking!
6) Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the center is firm.
Send an E-mail to get added to the Vegetarian Light weekly email!