Health & Fitness
Fitness: Work Out!
Want to sleep better, look better, feel better, get stronger, be healthier,
live longer: incorporate a workout routine into your life.
- Choose a gym convenient to your home or office. I have found that
I am more likely to go to a gym that is close to me.
- Pick a workout that you enjoy. Everyone likes different types of workouts.
I like Step aerobics and yoga, but I have friends who prefer biking
and running. Choose your favorite.
- Pick the time of day that feels right. Don't force yourself to go
to the gym at 6 a.m. if you are not a morning person.
- Set reasonable goals and work towards them. If you haven't worked
out in a while, don't push to go to the gym 5 times the first week.
Start slowly and build.
- Incorporate exercises that improve cardio, strength and flexibility.
Running, step aerobics, elliptical cardio machines, and biking improve
cardio. Weight machines, free weights and certain exercise classes are
great for strength. Classes in yoga and pilates improve flexibility.
Check out some of the resources below:
If you want to lower your cholesterol without medication:
- Exercise aerobically and frequently.
- Choose no fat and low fat foods most of the time.
- If you eat eggs, substitute egg whites in recipes calling for eggs.
- Eat a lot of high fiber foods, like oatmeal and whole grains.
- Avoid processed foods: choose whole foods, like fruits and vegetables.
- Don't smoke.
Cholesterol (Source: American Heart Association)
Cholesterol (Source: eHealth MD)
Society's Info on Cholesterol
Managing High Blood Pressure
on High Blood Pressure (Source: American Heart Association)
Info (A diet recommended to lower blood pressure. Source: DASHDiet.org)
Diet and Food Tips (Source: Helpguide.org)
on Celiac disease (Source: Celiac
Loss and Dieting (Source: Helpguide.org)
Diet Great for Weight Loss (Source: Scientific Review published by
on controlling stress (Source: Helpguide.org)
Foundation of America
Recovery Diet.com (Jill Harrington's diet for overcoming Lupus)
Return to Top