Mushroom, Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Invite the family over for dinner.
About 16 jumbo shells, cooked one minute less than package directions
1 large jar of your favorite pasta sauce
15 oz. container of low-fat ricotta cheese
½ cup frozen spinach, drained or 2 cups fresh spinach
¼ cup finely diced onion
½ cup chopped mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 organic, free range egg, beaten or 3 tbsp. of egg whites
1) Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté
until tender. Add mushrooms and sauté a few more minutes. Add spinach
and sauté till wilted if fresh or a few minutes if frozen (if using
frozen, cook according to package directions first).
2) Mix ricotta and egg together in large bowl. Then add sautéed
onion, spinach and mushrooms and stir together.
3) Pour 1 cup of sauce in bottom of large casserole dish (the kind you
would use for lasagna).
4) Fill each pasta shell (already cooked) with ricotta mixture (about
½ cup per shell).
5) Place shells side-by-side in casserole dish. Cover with remaining sauce
and mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
6) Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil. Bake covered for 25 minutes
in 375 degree oven. Remove foil and bake another 20-25 minutes or until
cheese is bubbly and browning.
Feeds a family of 5.
Return to Top